Big Data: What Is It?

Ever feel as though you’re swamped with information everywhere you go?

It’s easy to feel overwhelmed with our phones, emails and social media – but spare a thought for businesses who are inundated with exceptionally large volumes of data on a day to day basis – for example a knee surgeon gets 1000 bits of data every minute during an operation.

In the legal field, we’ve seen the rise of big data and legal implications for Newcastle, Melbourne and even an Adelaide big data company.

What Is Big Data?

The term describes the large volume of data – both structured and unstructured – which a business receives on a daily basis. It could be anything from the records of millions of people, derived from different sources and often inaccessible or incomplete.

It’s such a large amount of data that it’s difficult to process using the traditional means (ie: databases) or specific software techniques. Its volume, and its capacity to change quickly can create issues for companies.

Big data

Big data

What Are The Benefits Of Big Data?

Companies are quickly finding ways to use big data efficiently and to harness the advantages of it to grow their businesses.

  • 1. Insight:

Big Data can help companies gain valuable insight into how their company is performing and how their customers are reacting to them. Capturing and analysing big data is absolutely key to using it in a productive and beneficial way. You’ll be able to identify fraudulent behaviour and you’ll also have more real time information about your business and how its operating.


  • 2. Strategy:


By gaining a heads up on how things are happening, big data can be used to help develop strategy and make plans for a company going forwards. Operations can be improved, issues can be identified and future planning is far more informed when using big data.


  • 3. Savings


Using Big Data can help you to reduce costs by quickly identifying areas of your business that are underperforming. It can also help with time management and enable you to make better informed decisions – helping you to save time and money is one of the biggest benefits of big data.


Quality Not Quantity?


With big data, it’s a little bit of both. At the end of the day, there’s no value in having huge amounts of data if you aren’t making use of it. Equally you need to have the big data in the first place in order to use it.


It’s important not to use the big data in a mindless way. Take the time to really analyse your data – many companies now use it to generate coupons at the point of sale based on customer’s buying habits. This type of gesture helps to build a relationship and loyalty that could bring substantial reward.

If you’d like to discover more insights, check out – they have a great blog illustrating how big data works, and what the legal implications might be for your business.



Legal Services For Electrical Contractors

One of the most common legal issues facing electricians in Newcastle and indeed electricians throughout Australia relates to public liability insurance claims and Workcover.

Unfortunately, being an electrical contractor can be a dangerous job. There are so many things that can go wrong when working with electricity – especially high voltages, that it’s inevitable that an electrician will get injured while on the job, and that legal advice may be sought.

This is why we offer a wide range of legal services for electrical contractors throughout the Newcastle region – as we want to make sure that both the employee and employers can all receive fair representation when an injury occurs.

Launch Electrical Services

Our Legal Services Include:

  • Advice
  • WorkCover assistance
  • Helping you make a claim
  • Getting you back to work
  • Worker’s Compensation
  • And more

Common Injuries Whilst on the Job

  • Shoulder injuries
  • Knee injuries
  • Back injuries
  • Electrocution
  • Burns
  • Vehicle accident

When Should You Seek Legal Advice?

Seeking legal advice if you are an electrician should not be a daunting task. If you have been injured on the job, you have every right to seek legal representation to ensure that you get your entitlements fulfilled, or receive compensation where it is appropriate.

We have seen many instances where the employee has received a seizable payout as a result of these WorkCover claims – so it is recommended that if you have experienced any issues at all at work, that you get in touch with your local legal council, and get representation.

Our Local Newcastle Clients

We’ve dealt with a number of clients in the local Newcastle region who would happily sign our praises. We’ve worked with Launch Electrical to ensure their documentation and procedures were all up to date, and that they had all their bases covered in the event of an accident, injury, or something unforeseen occurring.

We recommend that your electrical contracting business do the same.

If you are an electrician working for another company, we recommend giving us a call and getting some free advice about how best to handle your legal requirements.


What Insurance Do Lawyers need?

In Australia, the clients of lawyers have the ability to sue when their lawyer misses a court imposed deadline or does not inform the client on important decisions that can hurt the case – this is why most law firms generally require a number of specialist insurance policies including malpractice insurance, liability insurance or professional indemnity insurance for lawyers.

Law Practices in Australia

In Victoria law practices are required to obtain professional indemnity insurance. This specific insurance must cover civil liability and must be held with LPLC. All the principals and employee of the law practice should be covered by the civil liability insurance.

The terms of contracts and all other arrangements for professional indemnity insurance are approved by the Board. Currently the Board has approved the LPLC insurances for the practising certificate for the period 1 July 2014 to 30 June 2015.

Certain law practice firms may be exempt by the Board from this requirement in special circumstances.

For instance, interstate law practices such as lawyers in Newcastle NSW have been granted exemption until 30 June 2015.


Barristers, as sole practitioners, are included in within the definition of “law practice” and therefore must also obtain professional indemnity insurance in Victoria.

However, a barrister may be exempt by the Board from the requirement to have professional indemnity insurance in certain circumstances. For instance, Interstate barristers have been granted exemption from this requirement for the practising year 1 July 2014 to 30 June 2015.

The benefit of a barrister insurance policy is that it is extremely similar to that of a bookkeeper or accountant so it’s generally cheaper.  So whether it’s a barrister in Sydney or a bookkeeper Adelaide, the insurance policy is going to be pretty much the same!

Community legal centres

Community legal centres are also required to have professional indemnity insurance in Victoria. Their insurance should cover the civil liability of each person who is or is an employee, volunteer or contractor of the community legal centre. The community legal centres must hold professional indemnity insurance with VMIA or NACLC.

The terms and conditions are currently approved by the Board for the practising year 1 July 2014 to 30 June 2015. If the community legal centre holds a different professional indemnity insurance policy than the approved VMIA and NACLC policies, it must apply for approval to the Board prior to commencing legal practice in Victoria. Community legal centres can also be exempted by the Board from compliance with the requirements for professional indemnity insurance, in certain conditions.

Foreign Lawyers (Australian-registered)

Australian-registered foreign lawyers who hold a legal practice in Victoria are also required to obtain Board approved professional indemnity insurance offered by the LPLC. Those foreign lawyers who are already covered by the pre-approved LPLC policy do not have to go again through the approval process.

Foreign lawyers may also ask the Board for approval for of an insurance policy acquired through a different insurer than the LPLC if the terms and conditions are similaras the LPLC policy. No foreign lawyers are exempt by the Board from professional indemnity insurance requirements.

In case of the corporate legal practitioners, they are not required by the Act to maintain professional indemnity insurance. However, those corporate legal practitioners who provide pro bono legal services must be covered by professional indemnity insurance.


The Board may grant exemptions from the requirements for professional indemnity insurance under section 3.5.7 of the Act. Each of the three sub sections contains a separate ground for Board’s exemption.

All exemption applications to the Board must be in writing, set out the law practice’s grounds for exemption and specify the sub section under which it seeks exemption. Of course, whether it meets the class exemption criteria it is up to the law practice to determine.

The video below outlines more about insurance, taxation and legal issues facing expats living in Australia:

  • Expat Legal Essentials

    This law and insurance blog is for all expats living in Australia who need to get legal advice or insurance help. We cover a wide range of professional indemnity insurance and personal injury law issues on the site - and we will provide comprehensive advice on how to deal with any legal or insurance related issue for any expat living in Australia!